What is an EDI 211?
The EDI 211 is a X12 transaction set for a Motor Carrier Bill of Lading that is used to provide data regarding a shipment and replaces the paper bill of lading. The EDI 211 provides information such as:
- Trading partner name and identification code
- Warehouse identification
- Purchase order(s) and dates
- Pallet information
- Retailer and distribution center code
Benefits of implementing the EDI 211
Implementing the EDI 211 fulfills the need for a written bill of lading that the Department of Transportation requires for every shipment transported. The EDI 211 eliminates the need for a paper bill of lading by transmitting the data electronically.
EDI 211 Workflow
The EDI 211 is used by the trading partner to request a shipment be picked up or routed. Upon receipt of the bill of lading, your trading partner will expect other EDI transactions from you in response.
Documents that are exchanged in response to the EDI 211 can include:
- 204 - Motor Carrier Load Tender: used by the shipper for shipments with single stop routes, LTL, or TL.
- 210 - Motor Carrier Freight Details and Invoice: used by carriers to invoice trading partners for freight services.
- 990 - Response to a Load Tender: used by the trading partner to accept the load tender or bill of lading.
EDI 211 Example
ISA|00| |00| |ZZ|123456789 |ZZ|SUPPLYPIKE |123456|2134|U|00401|123456789|0|P|-