What is an EDI 214?
The EDI 214 is an X12 transaction set for a Transportation Carrier Shipment Status Message that is used by the carrier to provide trading partners with the status of their shipments. The EDI 214 provides information such as:
- From shipment name and address
- Location of the shipment, including address or coordinates
- Dates and times of the pickup and/or estimated delivery
- Signature of the receiver for the delivery
- Reasons for status update and lading information
- Weight, packaging, quantity and other descriptive data
Benefits of Implementing the EDI 214
Implementing the EDI 214 enables you to receive valuable information regarding your shipments and data surrounding them. It eliminates the guesswork of your shipment conditions and enables you to better track your transportation status. This saves time and removes human error, thus saving business costs.
EDI 214 Workflow
An EDI 214 is used to communicate the specific data regarding the status of a shipment from the carrier. There are a few transactions associated with the transportation carrier shipment status message.
Documents that are exchanged with the EDI 214 can include:
- 204 - Motor Carrier Load Tender: used to create a new shipment, update or replace a shipment, or to cancel a shipment for single stop routes or LTL.
- 211 - Motor Carrier Bill of Lading: used to request a shipment to be picked up and routed.
- 997 - Functional Acknowledgment - used to accept, error, or reject a transaction.
EDI 214 Example
ISA|00| |00| |ZZ|123456789 |ZZ|SUPPLYPIKE |123456|2134|U|00401|123456789|0|P|-
B10|PO 123456789| 123456789|SCAC