What is an EDI 846?
The EDI 846 is a X12 transaction set for an Inventory Inquiry/Advice that is used to inform the trading partner of on-hand, overstocked inventory that is available for purchase. The EDI 846 provides information such as:
- Vendor information, date, and invoice number
- Inventory information, such as quantities on hand, in float, committed, on order, returned, or on back order
- Item information, such as GTIN, SKU, and unit of measurement
Benefits of implementing the EDI 846
Implementing the EDI 846 enables you to streamline your inventory communications between purchasers and suppliers. It advises product statuses electronically for faster communication, aiding in e-commerce, warehouse planning, and orders for retailers.
EDI 846 Workflow
An EDI 846 is used to communicate warehouse inventory conditions for specific items. The inventory inquiry/advice is used in congress of other EDI transactions.
Documents that are exchanged with the EDI 846 can include:
- 810 - Invoice: used to replace a paper invoice
- 850 - Purchase Order: used to communicate the specific items a buyer wishes to order from a supplier
- 856 - Advance Ship Notice (ASN): used to describe the contents of each shipment and how items were packed
- 997 - Functional Acknowledgment: used to confirm receipt of the transaction
EDI 846 Example
ISA|00| |00| |ZZ|123456789 |ZZ|SUPPLYPIKE |123456|1600|U|00401|0000000000|1|P|-