What is an EDI 855?
The EDI 855 is a X12 transaction set for a Purchase Order Acknowledgment that is used in place of a paper confirmation of a purchase order. The EDI 855 provides information such as:
- Purchase order information
- Ship and delivery dates
- Item details, including description, quantities, and GTIN
- Order acknowledgment status (e.g. accepted, rejected, accepted with changes)
Benefits of implementing the EDI 855
Implementing the EDI 855 enables you to automate the purchasing process by electronically acknowledging the receipt of purchase orders, thereby replacing the need for phone calls, faxes, or emails. This reduces your business costs, resource needs, and human error.
EDI 855 Workflow
An EDI 855 is used to confirm you can meet the requirements in the purchase order. The creation of the purchase order acknowledgment is triggered by other transactions.
Documents that are exchanged with the EDI 855 include:
- 810 - Invoice: used to replace a paper invoice
- 850 - Purchase Order: used to communicate the specific items a buyer wishes to order from a supplier
- 856 - Advance Ship Notice (ASN): used to describe the contents of each shipment and how items were packed
- 860 - Purchase Order Change Request (Buyer Initiated): used to request an update to the details on the original purchase order
EDI 855 Example
ISA|00| |01| |ZZ|A1B2C3D4E5|ZZ|123456789012345|101010|0101|U|00400|000001010|0|P|>
N3|12345 West RD