What is an EDI 945?
The EDI 945 is an X12 transaction set for a Warehouse Shipping Advice, which provides confirmation of a shipment for the supplier. It, along with the 940 Shipping Order, is a transaction set, designed specifically for EDI communication with remote warehouses. The 945 provides information such as:
- Shipment information (e.g. PO number and Order Number)
- Ship From and Ship To information
- Shipment date
- Method of transportation and shipping service level (e.g. overnight, 2 day delivery, etc.)
- Item SKU, lot code, quantity and description
Benefits of implementing the EDI 945
Implementing the EDI 945 will provide pertinent information needed to reconcile the quantity shipped against the quantity ordered, as well as, create an invoice and generate an Advance Ship Notice (ASN).
EDI 945 Workflow
An EDI 945 is used by the warehouse to notify the supplier once the order has been shipped to the buyer.
Documents that are exchanged in response to the EDI 945 can include:
- 810 - Invoice: used to replace a paper invoice
- 850 - Purchase Order: used to communicate the specific items a buyer wishes to order
- 855 - Purchase Order Acknowledgment: used to confirm you can meet the requirements in the purchase order
- 860 - Purchase Order Change Request (Buyer Initiated): used to request an update to the details on the original purchase order
- 940 - Warehouse Shipping Order: used to authorize a shipment of items from a warehouse
- 997 - Functional Acknowledgment: used to confirm receipt of the 856
EDI 945 Example
ISA|00| |00| |12|12345678910 |01|987654321 |666666|4444|U|55555|000000000|1|P|-